Ten weeks after he was hit by a car while escorting student protesters, John Adsit and his family stepped into the lobby of Porter Adventist Hospital on Wednesday to be greeted by the cheers of fellow police officers, relieved to see him on his feet again. Adsit, a nine-year veteran of the Denver police department, was seriously injured when he was hit by a car as he escorted students protesting police shootings of unarmed black men.”But for the grace of God I wouldn’t be standing here today,” Adsit said. Adsit, who was in critical care for a month, underwent 11 surgeries to repair crushed ribs, a punctured lung, a severed artery in his leg, a broken femur, a cracked pelvis and other injuries. Also, his spleen was removed and he battled internal bleeding, pneumonia, vision loss, fever and infection.Adsit and three other officers were injured Dec. 3 when a motorist suffering a medical episode crashed into Adsit’s bicycle as they monitored a group of Denver East High students who walked out of school in a protest.A number of Adsit’s fellow officers cheered as he and his family emerged from a hospital corridor, and they watched him walk out of the hospital.”I didn’t think he was going to go home,” said Cmdr. Tony Lopez, who heads District 6, where Adsit was stationed. “In 32 years I don’t think I have ever seen a cop in such bad shape.”It isn’t clear if Adsit will be able to return to the police force, Lopez said. “The optimist in me says John can do it.”Officer Robbie Southern, Adsit’s partner, said he missed him. “This is a brother for sure, it was a difficult adjustment. We worked together for seven years.” Adsit, who took no questions from reporters, thanked the community for support shown to him and his family and said he was looking forward to sleeping in his own bed.During the weeks he spent in the hospital, many residents responded to a “lights on for officer Adsit” campaign by shining a blue porch light in a window to support his recovery. ” … – Click Here To Visit Article Source